Wednesday, June 25, 2014

FREE Pimsleur German Language Course & REVIEW

Today I received a Pimsleur German Language Course from Language Secrets.

I popped the first CD in, there are 16 of them.  There is an introduction CD that tells you who Pimsleur is and about his program.  It says that we can learn another language just like how we have learned out native tongue language without books and studying.  It is the same way babies learn a language.  Basically repeat, reinforce the same words every day, but add on.

The first lesson I did, I started to get excited about the course because I was actually comprehending the German language.  I remembered what the words were that were just taught to me.  I knew how to say a few words in the first 15 minutes and of the greeting and how to ask how you are.  I did the lesson and felt like I needed to repeat it to really get the words down.  At the end of the first lesson, the narrator said if I didn't feel confident to move on, to do the lesson again.  It is okay to do them over to make sure you comprehend the lesson before moving on.  It is probably a good idea to go ahead and do lesson twice to get basic conversation down before going to lesson 2.  I really like the course.


It tells you to do a lesson in consecutive days so that you can build on the lesson you did the day before. This is exactly how the Pimsleur method works.  It builds on your existing knowledge of the language but then adds to it.  You keep doing this over and over and you are bound to learn the language basics.  There are 30 lessons about 30 minutes each for each level.  I received Level 1.

 This method is perfect to learn because you hear the native speaker speak and you repeat.  You are even asked to repeat sounds and then the full word.  It really helps retain it.  This is wonderful for a car ride.  It will keep you awake and you will learn too.

 The methodology of the Pimsleur courses are
1. Anticipation
2.Graduated-interval recall
3.Core Vocabulary
4.Organic Learning

The Pimsleur method (sometimes billed as the Pimsleur Language Learning System) is an audio-based language acquisition method developed by Paul Pimsleur that stresses active participation over rote memorization. During lessons, the listener repeats words and phrases given by native speakers and constructs new phrases by inference. As new phrases are introduced, the listener is prompted to recall older phrases. The prompts for any given phrase are gradually spaced out in ever-increasing intervals. Between 1963 and 1971, Pimsleur created Greek, French, Spanish, German, and Twi (Akan)courses while teaching at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Wikipedia Source

I did not finish the course yet, as I did not do all of them on consecutive days, however, I can am retaining the language and I am confident that I will be able to speak the basic of German. I do not think I will ever go to Germany, but If I'd like to be able to have that option and using this course will benefit me.











 I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment